Foundation Questions of the Political Left and Right
I have often found it useful to make rough groupings into the political left and the political right. I used to consider myself on the political left, and I no longer do, having gradually moved away from the positions that we typically call left.
What are some of the questions we try to address, in the process of which we find ourselves in the left or the right?
- How do we align the interests of individuals and society so that there can be harmony? (How can people be motivated to take care of themselves and provide for family, friends, and strangers?)
- How do we allocate and distribute capital, products/services, and natural resources?
- Who is entitled to the fruits of a person's labor?
- To what extent can governments, or individuals/groups that are part of governments, be trusted?
- To what extent can individuals be trusted without government?
- How do we balance the freedom and opportunity of individuals born today in one place with the freedom and opportunity of others born in other places and/or in the future?
- Is it possible to help another person to become independent, or is that an inherently impossible proposition?
- How can we achieve fairness and justice in conflict resolution and decision-making?
Are there any questions that ought to be added to this list or anything that should be changed?